Wednesday, February 23, 2011

impermanence

impermanence: a comment on the unnoticed beauty of things
 

Abandonment: fear. Impermanence: decay. Futility: corrosion. Emptiness: nothingness. Defeat: loss. Openness: beauty. 

These word choices are relationships. Abandonment: the subject of the image; fear: the emotion. Impermanence: the reality of all things; decay: the reality of all things. Futility: the end; corrosion: the process. Emptiness: the feeling; nothingness: what seems to be left. Openness: the ability to go where we have not ventured; beauty: the faculty to see what we have seldom seen.

These words are the foundation of my thesis work. The bare bones, if you will. The idea board.

Through the lens of fine art photography I have been documenting the intricacies of rural abandoned places to illuminate impermanence. Within my exploration of abandonment I am intern exploring the fortifications and limitations of my own experience. These photographs gently depict the inevitable imperfections of the commonly accepted notion of existence.

I have used abandoned places and things to exposing the vulnerability of our own existence through decay and loss. Metaphorically speaking, the imagery depicts the things we fear most: futility, emptiness and defeat. The images offer an opportunity to recognize the beauty within these emotional and tactile spaces and places and the beauty in an understanding that all things will eventually face decay, decomposition and gradual disappearance.

In a sense, I am challenging the viewer to see something that otherwise has felt scary and ugly in a new and openly beautiful way. 











3 comments:

  1. breathtaking. thank you for this metaphorical journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of Nancy in your writing and my own life expectations and soft letting-goes within your photos. Blessings, Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these impermanence images and this whole dang thing.
    I enjoyed reading your words about this journey, Dawn. I will check back to see what you are thinking and what you are looking at.

    (from a very proud former instructor)

    ReplyDelete