Friday, May 20, 2011

Van Dyke Brown prints

Now that my notebook has made its way home, I’m able to look back through the semester’s work with historical processes and remember what was fun, what was challenging, and what worked and didn’t with my imagery. The Van Dyke Brown printing process produced a beautifully rich monochromatic brown print that is suitable to be printed on a variety of different surfaces.

The first VDBs I printed were a small series of contact printed 4x5 black and white film negatives created with a pinhole camera. For these I printed on arches 90 weight hot pressed watercolor paper. The combination of the negative, the paper and the process created a rich and dark print. Here is an example below... 



After further experimentation I found that I could print on different surfaces and I tried silk, cloth, handmade paper and various rice papers. The images below were printed on slightly transparent rice paper using the VDB process. After the prints were finished and dried I created collages using found objects from each location. Multiple kinds of cloth, old books and pages and thread were combined to create individual pieces that accurately represented aspects of each location. All three pieces were collaged using found materials from the buildings. For instance, two of the images bellow are of schoolhouses and they are made of books and materials that I found and collected at the locations. By creating individual pieces using this technique I was able to incorporate color, texture and even smell from each location into each piece and produce art that gives a unique representation of the place. 







1 comment:

  1. You are an artist. It is plain to see. These are visceral. I can even smell them.

    ReplyDelete